Key to Oreopolus and Cruckshanksia
- 1. Leaves opposite or occasionally subalternate; stipules triangular to bilobed or erose, usually separated along the stems due to good development of the internodes that separate the leaves; calyx lobes not enlarged or often one or several of them prolonged into white or colored, petaloid appendages (i.e., calycophylls); capsules dehiscent from the base into 2-5 valves...Cruckshanksia
1. Leaves ternate or occasionally opposite; stipules triangular and usually imbricated due to the limited development of the internodes, so the leaves are hardly separated; calyx lobes never enlarged into petaloid appendages; capsules dehiscent from the apex into 2 valves...Oreopolus
Key to the Species of Cruckshanksia
- 1. Calyx lobes equal, none bearing petaloid appendages or all the lobes bearing them, thecalyx lobes elliptic to oblanceolate or with stipitate, elliptic to ovate petaloid appendages (i.e., calycophylls) in flower, these appendages sometimes becoming orbicular to broadly elliptic in fruit.
- 2. Leaf blades 15-40 mm long, sharply acute at apex; stipules 1.5-2 mm long; calyx lobes in flower 10-15 mm long, in fruit 12-23 mm long, without stipes...C. palmae
2. Leaf blades 8-20 mm long, obtuse to rounded at apex; stipules 0.8-1.6 mm long; calyx lobes in flower 3.5-11 mm long (including stipe, when present), in fruit 7-17 mm long, elliptic to oblanceolate, and without stipes, or 10-15 mm long and with stipes.
3. Calyx lobes in flower all composed of stipes 3-6 mm long bearing elliptic to ovate appendages 3-5 mm long, in fruit the stipes 10-15 mm long with the appendages ovate and 9-13 mm long....C. lithiophila
3. Calyx lobes elliptic to oblanceolate, without stipes, in flower 3.5-5 mm long, in fruit 7-17 mm long...C. macrantha
1. Calyx lobes unequal with 1-4 of them bearing petaloid appendages, these appendages orbicular to broadly elliptic in flower and fruit, the remaining 1-4 calyx lobes elliptic to narrowly triangular or subulate.
- 4. Plants annual or perhaps sometimes perennial; corolla lobes 1-2.5 mm long; corolla tube 0.1-0.3 mm in diameter near its middle...C. pumila
4. Plants perennial; corolla lobes 2-4.5 mm long; corolla tube 0.3-1 mm in diameter near its middle.
5. Petaloid calyx lobe appendages pink or white (though frequently drying yellow); leaves 2-15 mm wide...C. hymenodon
5. Petaloid calyx lobe appendages yellow; leaves 0.8-6 mm wide.
- 6. Cauline leaves simple or sometimes 3-lobed; petaloid calyx lobe appendages 6-10 x 8-15 mm in flower, to 12 x 18 mm in fruit... C. montiana
6. Cauline leaves simple to usually 2-3-lobed; petaloid calyx lobe appendages 3-6 x 2-7 mm in both flower and fruit.....C. verticillata