1. Sporophytes present … 2.
1. Sporophytes lacking … 3.
2. Calyptra clasping seta below capsule, persistent; peristome lacking … Calymperes
2. Calyptra cucullate, deciduous; peristome present or lacking … Syrrhopodon
3. Lamina above shoulders tristratose, upper and lower layers composed of leucocysts, mid layer of chlorocysts … Leucophanes*
3. Lamina above shoulders unistratose, cells ± uniform, not composed differentiated leucocysts and chlorocysts … 4.
4. Upper lamina margins limbate, elongate hyaline cells (border sometimes incomplete to nearly lacking) … Syrrhopodon
4. Upper lamina margins elimbate, lacking a border of elongate hyaline marginal cells, variously bordered otherwise or undifferentiated … 5.
5. Teniolae present (at least in some leaves) … Calymperes
5. Teniolae lacking … 6.
6. Lower laminal golden-brown to reddish; cancellinae mostly fragile and eroded (but mostly intact in Syrrhopodon cryptocarpos and S. rigidus) … Syrrhopodon
6. Lower lamina hyaline, mostly not colored as above (but sometimes yellowish in S. incompletus); cancellinae intact and persistent (sometimes eroded in S. cryptocarpos) … 7.
7. Upper lamina margins coarsely serrate-toothed in rows, teeth forming 3 or more irregular wings from shoulder to apex; cells of cancellinae with faint transverse bands … Syrrhopodon cryptocarpos
7. Upper lamina margins entire or bearing at most 2 rows of teeth; cells of cancellinae lacking bands …8.
8. Lower lamina margins bearing stout, sharp, spreading tore curved spinose teeth; rhizoids dark-red … Syrrhopodon gardneri
8. Lower lamina margins entire to serrate or dentate, but lacking spinose-recurved teeth; rhizoids brown to reddish … 9.
9. Lower lamina margins clearly bordered by several to many rows of elongate thick-walled cells … Calymperes
9. Lower lamina margins lacking well-defined border of elongate, thick-walled cells … Syrrhopodon incompletus var. incompletus